I hope for net neutrality and national broadband, but I can't hold my breath
waiting. Comcast just put a limit on total usage. At 250 GB/month, it seems
rather generous, but if people start downloading HD content, 250 GB might
disappear rather quickly. Second, how do you get your dvd collection
converted if you don't have an optical drive in the first place. Kinda a
Catch-22! :)  You need an optical drive to make your optical drive obsolete?

> I bought into HDDVD last year because of the heavier use of
> DRM with BlueRay and got burned last February when Hollywood
> and Tochiba threw in the towel. There are an increasing
> number of BlueRay rentals in my area now but I've been
> waiting for the price and compatibility issues to get better.
> But even BlueRay's days are numbered if you believe the
> articles. They say that if BlueRay wants to succeed it needs
> to be as cheap as DVD and I don't think that will happen for
> quite some time. I really like to go to the video store and
> check out the latest rentals but those places are probably on
> the way out.

You are buying into the rental philosophy. I still like to own my DVD (or
blu-ray when the times comes) disk so I can watch it whenever I want. The
idea of downloading it to watch once and having to pay each time does not
appeal to me. DRM may be able to stop piracy, but as long as you own the
disk, and it remains undamaged, you can play the movie as many times as you
want for your initial investment. Besides, it you like to rent, Netflix
rents blu-ray movies for only an additional $1 per month.

JMO

Jim Maki
[EMAIL PROTECTED]