Using two 4870's in crossfire would be a waste unless you upgrade to an X48 chipset mobo. Running one of them in a PCIe X16 slot with only 4 PCIe lanes would kill its performance IMHO. Also, the single card X2 would use slightly less electricity which also concerns a lot of people nowadays. Glad you want to support AMD.

Joe User wrote:
Hello Stan,

As I've stated previously, I'm pro-AMD. Having said that you might be interested in this article.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3462

Excellent read, thanks for the link. Seems to me they give the nod to
the 4870 in the end. I could probably infer the 4870X2 would rock
also. I now have to consider would it be better (it would be cheaper)
to do two 4870's or just do the 4870X2? Hmmmmmmm

I have to say I am excited to give ATI a spin...