Eli,
Good share, but not quite focused enough.

At 18:57 12/01/2008 -0500, you wrote:
I question why you think you need a new card.  The reason why WinXP is only
showing 1024x768 as the max resolution is because that is the max resolution
the current monitor is telling the computer it supports.

I agree that many displays may default to whatever the Monitor's spec is believed to be; however, when I drill into the "Adapter" tab of properties and then select Advanced, I am shown the available resolutions and refresh rates of the video card.

  So more than
likely when the new monitor is plugged in WinXP will say 1440x900 is the max
resolution.

Well, that is expected for a "new" panel. But, suspecting that the current video card's driver might be dorked, and, that quite possibly nobody bothered to 'properly' load the dot-inf file for the current (suspect) panel, anything is indeed possible! Since I now know that the video card is capable of 2048x1536 @75Hz (2D), it seems logical that Sis may not need a new video card yet. We will work on getting the necessary drivers squared away first.

And if that doesn't work you could try;
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/207607.html
or just uninstall and reinstall the most current drivers for what is in
there now.

I will check the link in the AM, and, yes, drivers first B4 more dollars! Well, except she does want a bigger panel...!! I will post results in any case. Should be on the mend by Wednesday night...... :)
Thank you,
Duncan

Eli