This is a question about a situation at my job.

The IT department does very strange things here.  Stuff will work,
then they 'improve' it and then issue a workaround because things
don't work anymore.

Currently we are using Outlook 2003 SP3, mainly because IT got it
free.  It broke a few processes mainly because we have an older
version Office.  They didn't upgrade Word, Excel, etc because that
would have cost money.  Now the Legal department has gotten involved
and suddenly saving messages in Outlook format for more than 1 year is
now against company policy.  Now we have 6 months to convert all .msg
files to either .html or .txt or .rtf and delete the original or IT
will delete them for us (whether they are converted or not).

Of the 3 formats, the only one that will preserve attachments without
the extra step of saving them separately is .rtf.  Of course you know
that the old Outlook always worked in rtf but the new Outlook always
worked in html.

My issue is with converting the html files so that you preserve
attachments.  The IT work around forces you (or more likely Outlook
forces you) to convert an html file to text first, only then do you
have the option to convert to rtf.  In the process, although you do
preserve the attachment but the formatting is lost.  Inline responses
that used to be in color are now more difficult to see and God forbid
if you actually had a table in there.

So after all this preample, is there a way to convert directly from an
html format in the .msg files to rtf?

Just for reference, the IT work around is to open the .msg file,
Edit-Edit Message-Format-Text (the only options shown are text and
html), the again Edit-Edit Message-Format-Rich Text.

I've only have just over 3000 messages to go....

Thanks....Steve