I had DSL from SBC (part of ATT) a couple of years ago in Chicago, and IIRC, they had some kind of email arrangement with Yahoo as well. Didn't particularly affect me--I switched from using ISP email to almost solely using my gmail or my work address now. I was moving ISPs and locations too often for several years to get attached to one address, and I like gmail.

With regards to the security -- POP is for downloading the messages, and SMTP is for the sending. (maybe you're thinking of IMAP where the messages and folders live and stay on the server, while being downloaded locally?) All can use SSL, and pretty much every email client around should support that now. I will note that sending mail through one SMTP server at work, I've had trouble occasionally using SSL, and so now generally leave it turned off there. That's only one server though...

Scott