m,
I had to sit on this one for a while.
How old is your 2040U?.....Have you gone back to Mitsubishi and checked for newer files (.icu and .inf) for this old monitor?........I have this trouble with my old Eizo 21".

Yes, your 2040U could have gone T.U......
If you get the same response in both SVGA and BNC, I'd be looking at the Video card in the 2040U. Perhaps a good TV shop can test it. Then, the high-voltage card, and/or other could be doing this. Specially if this trouble just popped up quickly for no good reason. Stuff happens. These old tube monitors do have a "finite" life.............. :(

I can not see the video card being a problem. I use a friendly G200, and a current R4350 to drive my Eizo. It still plays as best it can w/current crap off the www.

Lastly, from your description, I just finished doing a similar thing with my Sister. I loaned here a very old GEM 15in digital FP monitor. She started getting bars across the screen.........It turned out to be a BAD Video card. It was an old Canopus GForce256 card I gave her years back.

I realize you have already "isolated" the video cards.........Do these video cards play well in other platforms?
Best,
Duncan