The latest Catalyst drivers have fan control so you can turn it down manually. Also, check your CPU temps as your heat sink might be clogged with dust causing the BIOS fan control to run full blast (that is if it's 4 pin mobo connection). SpeedFan is the best utility for fan control but only if the mobo and CPU fan allow it. Let us know what you find out. Good luck!

Bino Gopal wrote:
Hey guys, another quick question; hope you guys can steer me in the right
direction.

I've got an Dell Dimension XPS Gen3/4 circa 12/2004; it's a pretty beasty
machine still (top-of-the-line back then) with its own monster tower case
and dedicated power supply section on the bottom.  I'm just trying to figure
out why the following happens and what (if anything) I can do about it:

If I do pretty much anything on the system lately (even open a browser), it
spins the fans up to FULL speed and they're LOUD!  I mean, really loud-I was
just watching a DVD on there with Windows Media Center and they fans were
going full bore and I had to really crank the volume to hear anything!  I
hadn't really thought about all the people talking about whisper-quiet PCs
before and all that, but I guess I see how it can be an issue now!

So while I know the system is old, I just upgraded the video card to a 4530
and it works great except for the loud fan thing.any thoughts on some way I
can control that (like good software one can download for that), or a
possible issue that I can look into fixing (if people have run into the same
thing in the past themselves)?

Any tips/pointers really appreciated; thanks guys!

BINO