Steve,
While this seems strange......(more below....)

At 16:00 04/06/2009 -0500, Steve wrote:
snip

The absolute worst I've ever seen was *I think* an old Dell where there was one, yes, one fan in the whole system that needed to cool everything. They hung it on the wimpy power supply and then ducted it to blow on the chipset and CPU.

I had one of these at the last place I was employed. I used it for ~5years. It was a brick. It ran NT3.51, and it never crashed; or, overheated. I thought about buying this hulk when I got laid off!
Never happened.  I sometimes wonder where it runs today............... :)
(if only I could recall its' MAC!)
That was one tough PC.  But then, JMHO.
Best,
Duncan