I've always used Spinrite.  It will do two main things for you.  First, it
will thoroughly inspect every cluster on the drive.  This will update the HD
firmware with which clusters are still good and which ones are bad.  That
should fix the problem.  The other option is that such a thrashing will
reveal any real errors, which in this case is a good thing.

SMART is ok for a first-level warning but in reality not very reliable.  In
my experience SMART reports just many false positives as it does false
negatives.

---
Brian