From: Thane Sherrington <th...@computerconnectionltd.com>
Subject: [H] Question of solid state drives
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Date: Thursday, July 23, 2009, 3:20 AM

I was reading a review of the new Intel MLC drive, and he says "The real
strength of the Intel drives is in its random, small file, read/write
performance. Here we see a 10% improvement in random read performance over the
1st gen drives, putting the new X25-M ahead of even the X25-E. Now there are
obvious lifespan benefits you get from an SLC drive that the G2 can't match,
but for a desktop user this thing is even better than the X25-E. "

I know nothing about SLC vs MLC - what does he mean buy "obvious lifespan
benefits?"