From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of DSinc
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 11:49 AM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] What a difference a switch makes!

Ryan,
Can not say that Procurve switches were not mentioned when I converted from 10/100 switches to 10/100/1000 switches some time back. I chose to go with a pair of Dell PowerConnect 2716's. The home LAN has never been as nice as it is now. And, I still have not started to play with "jumbo-frames."
Next time, maybe the Procurve's.......... :)
Best,
Duncan

Ryan Vorachek wrote:
I'll second that.  We switched to Procurve switches a couple years ago
from 3com stuff.  The HP switches are fast and built like tanks.  That
said we did loose one during a firmware update.  Flashed the ROM and
waited for it to come back up.... and waited...  and waited...
called
HP support.  I remember the guy stating that this is very unusual and
the first time he's seen this.  The good news is HP shipped out one
next
day air so all was happy quickly. (apart from the creative wire
rerouting that I had to do while the switch was down.)

I would love Procurves at home, but my rather old SMC gigabit switches
are working well enough to not justify the upgrade cost.  :)

Ryan