> What compatibility issues? We're talking about HTML code for rendering
> web pages which any browser is capable of.

That is an extraordinarily simple minded view of what's actually involved.
There are literally thousands--if not tens of thousands--of internally
developed web-based applications that are critical LOB apps that
organizations use every day. I promise you, a large number of those will
simply not work properly in a non-IE browser.

Again, your home-network experience is pretty much irrelevant when it comes
to these sorts of projects in any sizable organization.