At 04:14 PM 9/24/2009, you wrote:

This all quickly becomes moot since you get 32 & 64 on all new Vista/7 DVDs and 64 still let's you run your 32bit apps.

here is a twist to that. The current 29.95 Windows 7 Home Premium offer for students is a download. When you make your purchase you choose which version you want, 32 or 64. The download is available on the release date. So you can choose one or the other. I assume if you already have a Win 7 upgrade disk you could use the key they give you with it.

Soren wrote:
www.geoffchappell.com/notes/toc.htm ;)
maccrawj wrote:
2^32 IS 4GB, you do the math! ;)

 From the MS page that lead me to the link I posted:

"Windows NT 4.0 Memory Support. With Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and Server operating systems, the maximum amount of physical memory supported is 4 GB. The maximum amount of virtual memory is 2 GB.

With Windows NT 4.0 Server, Enterprise Edition, the /3GB switch was first added to Boot.ini."

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

AND

"The PAE mode kernel requires an Intel Architecture processor, Pentium Pro or later, more than 4 GB of RAM, and Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003."

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx

Soren wrote:
Hey Brian,

As far as I know, the Windows NT generation is not limited to 3GB RAM, only to 64GB (32bit O/S limit - do your own math ;). One thing is what the O/S reports (and what MS wants us to believe), and another thing is what's actually doable. Nothing new there, unfortunately.

MS have several web pages describing the subject, though in very cloudy terms. The essence is that WIN only reports up to 'about' +3GB RAM, the rest is allocated to system (as in e.g. swap) and programmes.

The often overlooked fact is that WIN will only allocate up to 3GB of RAM - per process, that is. How many processes are running on your system?

I have build and/or setup several WIN NT systems with 4/8GB of RAM w/o any problems at all. Those are all A/V systems with RAID and all the bells and whistles, and no complaints so far. Oldest system is almost eight years old.

It's kind of like the old NT-Switch-trick - only a few (like 2) keys in the registry are changed, and then you've got Server. Bummer.

The limit for WIN NT Pro is 64GB by design (NT5/6/7/8=maybe). Home Edition is limited to 32GB, for whatever reason. Probably "bragging rights" :)

It's all on the MS web site, though in very cloudy terms. But the determined individual will find it.

Using +4 GB will include the "/PAE" switch in boot ini. Normally, this is added automatically by the O/S, and will run smoothly by so.

For an A/V system for professional use, 32GB RAM is not unusual on e.g. WIN XP Pro.

HTH