From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Steve
Tomporowski
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2009 4:19 PM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] advise

Since we're on this subject....All TV's below 37" are 720. What does one of those TV's do when fed with a 1080 signal? Or does it just not display? I've wondered about that since I would think that with the mixtures of 1080/720 stations, they'd want everything to display everything....or am I mistake because that makes sense?

Steve

Greg Sevart wrote:
Scientifically, it's hard to understand why this happened because
CRT, LCoS and DLP offered the highest picture quality at the lowest
price, while direct-view large-screen LCDs have historically offered
the lowest picture quality at the highest price. This seems to be the
I disagree completely with this statement from the analysis.
Projection-based technologies have had two advantages: they're cheap
and
available in very large sizes. They haven't ever really been
competitive in
terms of image quality with anything other than bottom-feeder LCD and
plasma
sets.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Samsung's current lineup of LCD sets. I
don't
really like their marketing though...for example, the new sets are NOT
LED
TVs. They're LED-backlit LCDs. It's a major step forward in technology
to be
sure, but it is still an LCD panel with the only change being from a
CCFL to
LED backlight. AFAIK, the only places you'll find real LED TVs are the
huge
jumbotrons at sporting venues.

I should also mention that several people that have seen my 52"
Samsung
Series 7 (LN52A750-now 1 year old) have went out and bought one
themselves
based on nothing other than the spectacular image quality. Sony's best
sets
are very comparable as well--you can't really go wrong with either of
them
at this point.

Plasma has always felt more like an interim technology to me, and the
sales
volume supports that. There are still a few things they do better than
LCDs,
but the current generation of LCDs have gotten so good that plasma
really
only becomes compelling when looking for a set bigger than the 52-55"
that
mainstream LCDs seem to top out at.

Just my two cents. Opinions on this topic tend to be quite....strong.

Greg

signature database 4461 (20090927) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4461 (20090927) __________