From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of maccrawj
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 3:11 PM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] advise

I had considered picking up old stock on a Kuros and decided no if they're
not making
them. Agreed they are/were the best, sad to loose that option. If Elites are
still in
production, even with someone else making the glass, I guess I'd consider
them as an
option.

240/120 are multiples of 24 which is supposed to mean 24 frame movie content
displays
right in addition to handling normal 60hz video w/o crapping out on moving
content.
Of course theres a zillion caveats to how comb filters, upscallers, and
other
features frakk an otherwise great set for a given mode: SD, HD, BluRay,
etc...
Granted I am just picking this up from reading over the past year so I could
be wrong.

DLP uses the bulb that burns out in several hundred hours, right? Unit takes
up more
space because it's a projector in a box? Eh, not what I'd want to invest in
personally. Same with Plasma given the cost, despite the advantages, due to
degrading
  nature of plasma over a few years.

LCD w/ LED backlight seems to have come a long way and the prices are
dropping closer
to the level of old CRT sets in similar sizes. I remember paying $900 for a
27"
non-XBR WEGA in 2000 when I thought it would cost more like $500. Only to
find out I
was sold an old model and it wasn't XBR or 32" for that much! If fact I paid
almost
$200 more to get the model with 2 SVID jacks, LOL.

Last set I considered in June was 46"? 240hz Bravia XBR9 for $2400 during a
BB sale.
The scam was there are two sequential sizes (46" & 52") but the sale was
only on the
52" reduced to the normal price of the 46". Guess they figured customers
would jump
on it getting a 52 for the 46's price but what I really wanted was 46" for
the same
amount off! ;) Now I see it's about $2K for the KDL-46XBR9 I looked at.

Random, yes, you & I both seem to be in that mode for the same goal except I
did not
bite yet! Still waiting, maybe next spring...