PS3 still needs things to be transcoded and that sucks unless you mean for BD
discs only, then it IS the
best choice.  You can build a budget htpc box with an HDMI video card that also
passes surround sound audio.
I don't know about a set top box but a home built could work great.  The
downside is it wouldn't offer
BD disc capability at a reasonable price.

Just tested a 720p video via MKV, and it was using 10-20Mbit/sec, avg about 10
bursting to 20+ buffering
or during busy speeds.  802.11G *might* work there but to be sure 802.11n is
your best bet.  As for 1080p,
that used about 20 to 35Mbit/sec bursting up to 50Mbit/sec for
seeking/buffering.  Keep in mind this is
for a MKV file and can vary depending on the bitrate used as 1080p is just the
resolution.  If you want to
play Blu-Ray over wifi, 802.11n would be required.  From what I can tell the
spec for bluray states that
audio+video @ 1.5X is 54Mbit/sec.  802.11g won't sustain that and that and
won't even hit that unless using
turbo mode :)