MKV only needs to be remuxed in most cases since it's the container not the content that is unsupported. Running PS3MediaServer on a PC handles that issue with ease even if transcoding is needed.

720P H.264 MKV's of HDTV shows are ~4Mb/sec from what I've seen, decent quality. Uncompressed bitrate on the other hand seems to calculate as 500Mb/sec for 720P & 1.2Gb/sec for 1080P, while typical compression Blu-Ray is 40~54Mb/sec?

It's working for me so far with the one Ps3 client served DVD ISO's and MKV's from a Q6600 PC over 1GB ethernet @8Mb/sec peak.

There are some really sweet HTPC solutions out there but @$300 PS3 is great though so could some of the $150 stuff be less BluRay player.