Rick/Forc5,
Yes. I recall Cat3.
No. I have not tried splitting any feeds. There are 8 phone wires (lines) coming out of the crawl-space to the NID. I only have (had) 4 active phone jacks (I do not use the jack in the master bedroom). Well, 4 + the ADT system. But the ADT system has its' own dedicated line to the NID.

The area at the NID looks like a bucket of snakes! The ATT guy gave me the two Cat5-color-code wires to allow me to reconnect my home. The ATT guy connected the ADT system.......he said he had to by law. OK.

OK. It is mid-20'sF - mid-30'sF ATM. I do not do cold well! Much less, playing in the confined area of my crawl space. OK. Rate me a wimp! Call me lazy! Besides, I am not a phone expert.

The old wiring looks like it went in ~1965. I bought the home in 2003. The 9-10ft of external exposed phone-line(s) has dried-out, cracked casing. Most of the internal copper lines look corroded/bad. Plus I do see evidence that some non-pro "weekend warrior" has been into/at the phone lines in years past.
This has been a home upgrade project of mine since 2003.

I have no problem paying to yank out the old stuff and running new lines. Well, if I am allowed to do what I'd like to end up with.
I'll start a new thread to seek guidance of my current plan/thoughts.
Best,
Duncan