From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of DSinc
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:07 AM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] Power Issues

Gary,
Interesting problem.
a) I think that your UPS is too small (in capacity and available
wattage) for everything you have plugged into it. I'll assume your ups
is the ES350G. It is only capable of 200W (?sustained?). Certainly your
PC does not idle at 200W; still, when the printer comes on, the ups may
not be able to react to the large load spike of the printer and still
supply enough oomph for its' attached devices (PC, speakers, switches).

I have noticed that my two oldest PCs that use "last generation" PSU's
still record 120W-133W on their Back-Ups 1500LCD on startup. Both PCs
typically idle at the 100W-115W level.

By contrast, my three C2D machines w/new 600W psus rarely exceed 70W on
startup, and, frequently idle in the 30W-40W range. These new "+80" psus

are much more efficient to my view.

b) Your printer specs at 20W (sleep), 85W (awake), and, 510W (printing).

That 510W is ~1/3 of the total available wattage of the duplex outlet
(1800W).  I'd put the printer on another power outlet (fused line) than
the ups for starters....as a test.
JMHO. YMMV.
Best,
Duncan