You can do it still - Right click on the desktop - Personalize - Window Colour - Advanced appearance settings. Same dialog in Vista / XP / 2000, just hidden away a bit.

Jamie

On 2010-03-11 4:14 PM, Bino Gopal wrote:
Speaking of Win7 (glad the list isn't dead btw!), anyone know how you can
make the icon size and spacing smaller on your desktop like you could in
WinXP?

I just installed Win7 Ent on an IBM T61 and I already right-clicked on the
desktop, selected View, Small Icons and they're still way too big, and the
spacing b/w them is huge...I also made the taskbar icons smaller too, but
that's not what I ultimately want.

So in WinXP you could right-click on the Desktop, select the Appearance tab,
Advanced, and then select Icon and Icon Spacing (Horizontal or Vertical)
from the drop-down menu, and make the icons smaller and drastically reduce
the space b/w them, which was very nice.  On my 1400x1050 15" laptop screen,
I currently have 17 icons vertical and 24 across (and most of the spaces
taken up with icons-usually favorites but sometimes docs, etc).

Is there anything like that for Win7 as googling it just got the WinXP
instructions, which AFAIK don't apply to Win7...

                                                        BINO