On Fri, 21 May 2010, Thane Sherrington wrote:

I have an HP machine that won't boot with its CPU in it (boots to three long beeps and then one long continuous beep.) It has a ADA4200IAA5CU in it
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%204200+%20-%20ADA4200IAA5CU%20%28ADA4200CUBOX%29.html

When I put in another CPU ADA5600IAA6CZ
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%205600+%20-%20ADA5600IAA6CZ%20%28ADA5600CZBOX%29.html

It boots fine. So one would assume, bad CPU. But when I move this CPU to a test motherboard, the machine boots fine.

BIOS?

Do the CPU's expect different voltages that the bad board isn't supplying correctly?

Switch power supply on the one it doesn't boot with and test?

Christopher Fisk
--
Leela: Bender, maybe you can interface with the Femputer and reprogram it to let them go.
Bender: Maybe you can interface with my ass... by biting it.