Gaffer,
My replies are inline............
TNX, anyway.

On 06/28/2010 15:45, Gaffer wrote:
On Monday 28 June 2010 18:54:39 DSinc wrote:
I still use xDSL. Soon I will move to FIOS. Well, as I get smarter
and answer my ?many? questions (another thread in play!)

I am beginning (again) to have trouble with my xDSL connection. I
suspect someone local (or ?) keeps camping out on my assigned IP addy
from my ISP so that they can just dick with my xDSL modem or my
Router.

I know I have my xDSL modem set to a "bridge" mode. I suspect this
makes it a straight wire connection to my Router's WAN port.

I would never use "Bridge Mode" unless I was feeding a box that was
specifically setup to be a firewall, something like "IP Cop".

Should I NOT use "bridge mode" in my TELCO-supplied modem I would be Double Nat-ng and have 2 firewalls. I view this as excess overhead. Perhaps my bad. My router does both NAT and supports its' own firewall and SPI. Both of these selections have been activated since day one!

I think I have my Router as |strong| as I currently comprehend its'
directions.

Your router is not being used as anything but a modem.  Its most
valuable assets are being thrown away by it being configured as it is.

Can you please share some more logic to this? I believe that my Router is my single point of 1st protection to Inbound stuff. Or, perhaps you and I are "wired" differently. This comment I do not understand.

Turns out, I have to save Router logs and reboot the Router about
every 3-7 days to recover a semi-firm connection.  The Router is a
DLink DGL-4300. All wireless is disabled. I use wired LAN only.

I use a Dlink router.  I have mine set to firewall and NAT.  The
firewall blocks all unrequested incoming traffic and lets everything
out.  NAT allows me to use a range of IP addresses that are not
Internet routeable effectively allowing the use of several machines
from the single IP that my ISP assigns me.  Which incidentally changes
each time I restart the router.

OK. Understand this logic. Same-same. That's how life is here too. The problem is I have to re-boot the Router several times a day!

Is this possible?  Do not know why someone local chooses to pick on
me? I will suppose giggles and laughs for the present!
This is the same view to me as past electrical storm interference I
had with an older (retired) xdsl modem.

Its quite possible that you have a tracking beacon installed on your
machine that reports your machines presence on the Internet.  In all
probability you wouldn't know if you had.

Please share more about "tracking beacon's?" I will go do a search/destroy on them as necessary. I have yet to find one/any yet!

Yes, I do NOT KNOW that I might already have an internal "baddie" in
play; other than every scanner I have used comes up negative.

What makes you think a scanner will find and report every "baddie" that
you might have on your machine.

Oh, I do not. I use what I use. I then use what is suggested to me by my betters. And, most of the time, I do find a hint from this List! I have both patience and trust in this List. This anomaly is just another matter of time at best. At worst, I do so hope the miscreant will eventually burn in hell!

Thought? Suggestions? Ideas?
Best,