I can only tell you what "they" do here.
My FIOS is a single box inside.
That seems to me to be better than one inside and one outside.
(The Optical Link terminates in the basement.)

Mine runs a COAX cable to the WIFI router (supplied)
which I had to have them move from my basement to my
first floor. Too much steel and metal ducting in the basement
for the signal to get upstairs.
They said it had to be Coax to have me ready for TV, if I got it.
All outputs from that are Wireless or CAT5. I feed switches
(and hubs) around the house.

THEIR WiFi router runs a DHCP server with a dynamic IP
(this is a house/residential account).
I can set it to use OpenDNS servers. (The company.)
The rest will be Company specific. VERIZON set up the configuration
with a batch file on a USB drive run on my laptop connected with Cat5.

I insisted on better security (NOT WEP) and changed it after they left.
They had to change my WiFi router once to a better model that actually
supported that. WPA-PSK2
(About a year later, another one burned out.)

Good luck.

Rick Glazier

----- Original Message ----- From: "DSinc"
Subject: [H] FIOS question 2.5?

I am not fully up to this level yet.
I've gotten alot of offline suggistions (mostly about tangential wiring my home AND selecting FI-TV). Fine. FI-TV is not my focus ATM.

I accept that I may get an RJ45 interface (ethernet) to a future ONT.
ATM, I have no idea WHAT comes out of this RJ45 interface.

IS it acceptable for me to question my 'pending future' ISP about THIS, AND, things like:

(YES, all below is stuff from my Router set for xDSL! I understand much of this may NOT apply in the FIOS future!)

Enable DNS Relay: ???
Enable RIP: ???
Enable DHCP Server: ???

WAN Mode: Static/DHCP/PPPoE/PPTP/L2TP ?
UName: n/a
PW: n/a
Adress Mode: Dynamic IP/Static IP ?
Reconnect Mode: On-Demand/Always On/Manual
Max Idle Time: 0=infinite/???
Pri DNS Server: ??? (208.67.222.222 planned?)
Sec DNS Server: ??? (208.67.220.220 planned?)
MTU: ??? (currently 1492 (default=1492))
Link Drop Delay: ??? (currently 120sec.(0=infinite))
MAC Cloning Enabled: ??? (currently YES!!... ;)

Thank you FIOS Users!