When I worked, we called it "RTV."
Best,
Duncan

On 07/22/2010 15:21, tmse...@rlrnews.com wrote:
Halfway in a golf course.   Sprinkler system goes off everynight and it floods
the box.   Keeping the greens pretty is more important then the phone.

Sent via BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: JRS<stei...@pacbell.net>
Sender: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:02:49
To:<hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: Re: [H] Insane method for protecting an ethernet join in a hole of
        water

I'm still wondering why the box fills with water every nite?

If it was me, I'd move the box.  :)

  --
JRS
stei...@pacbell.net

Facts do not cease to exist just
because they are ignored.

Here's the  deal.  At 600', a box in the ground (about 2' down) joins.  Cable
comes in both ways.  Joins there (just couplers basically).  But the  box fills
with water every single night all the way.

The wire  installer tried a weathertight box (still leaked in once submerged,
more  designed to resist rain) and they've tried wrapping with electrical tape,
etc..  in the end, same thing happens, short across live wires and down she
goes.

So, a guy at the meeting, the sprinkler systems person proposed  something I
thought was ridiculous but I've thought about since all day.    Get a can of
Crisco, wrap the wires, and run them down into the crisco can, seal  the top,
let go.  Crisco would hold out the water and it's  non-conductive.   This is
after they suggested peanutbutter.

We all  laughed like crazy when these were suggested.   Now I'm wondering how
dumb  of an idea this would actually be...  worst case, you're just out the $5
to  try...