From: hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Winterlight
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:53 AM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: [H] Win 8 upgrade

Back in December, when Microsoft had the promotional for Win 8, I
bought a couple of  Windows 8 Pro upgrades... one with the download
and one with a DVD. I haven't used them yet, but plan on doing so
with my upcoming new build. I have read about the upgrade process,
and the new rules that require a running previous version that will
loose it's license, but I am not clear on some the details. Can
someone who has actually done this explain a few things.

Say you have Windows 7 running on a hard drive. You put a new SSD  in
the computer, and install Windows 8 telling it to install on the SSD.

Will Win 8 install clean and allow you to switch the boot drive to
the SSD during the install process?

Does Win 8 install remove the qualifying version from the hard drive
so you can't dual boot?

Will your previous Windows 7 key now be void even if it is a retail
Windows 7 Professional key?

I have an old Vista and XP key that I could install and  use to meet
this requirement,  if I have to, but I want to be clear on exactly
how it works.
thanks