Christopher,
Thanks for your share. Yes, I believe I did have this round-robin. But, after leaving the PC on all night, things have improved. MS shoved 6 updates at me-installed. Yes, I installed IE8because
I knew that IE6 was dead to Win Updates..
The WinXP CD I purchased state it was SP3. The old PC is now up and running well. And, I can now get to Windows Update. I checked my 'Update History' and find that MS may have shoved/installed some 162 patches on me. Seems likely because when I ran Defraggler (from the CCleaner folks) I noticed that my tiny sliver of XP on the root partition is now up to ~30% of the root partition-almost 12GB. Some big magichas taken place perhaps. Anyway, the old 'tst' PC is up and running again!
Duncan