Bobby,
This is JMHO only. Forget 'Link Aggregation.' I sorta understand it, but it seems to only be truly necessary on truly 'busy' networks. Not a private lan at home. I will shutup to other
comments on this topic.
If the Nas does GBit on its' primary LAN plug/port, that is all you need. Well, untilyou spend $$$ to move
to 10GigE. Not in my plans.
I suppose Greg may use this, but, I do not. I get quick response every day from my Nas' when I xfer files, to/from, and, I don't use LA tech on my nas' that might let me. But, I do not do video or audio at all.
One IP addy per device works for meATM.
Then, how do you troubleshoot 2 NICS in one device? Your modem and router deal with one IPA. Yes, your router lets you'NAT' everything behind the router as your choose. Behind the router, the switch builds its' tables to get stuff from point A to point B. I'll share the I think switches may get lazy/slow to do their business. I don't know how to TS this other that swap another into the mix. But, you have to wait for the new switch to build its' own tables. Untilthen, the switch is just a new 'light-show' IMHO. Once the switch figures out who is really linking up AND it builds
its' tables (~72 hours), all bets are off. Slow troubleshootingat best.
I replaced a pair of DELL 2716 switches for Netgear GS116NS switches just because DELL had EOL'd my switches. Perhaps a silly move. Maybe? My Lan is quite happy with my much cheaper Netgear switches (2). I operate happily.
I'm into simple new tech. Again, JMHO.
BTW, nice VERY NASBOX. Great drives! Took NG ReadyNAS months to 'like' them. Sheesh!
Like the RED series very much, when availableat reasonable prices!
Plan to upgrade my nas's w/WD RED 1TB emc drives over time. I have learned that I just do not have that
much 'data' to store/backup/worry about. YMMV I think.
Best,
Duncan