From: "Brian Weeden" <brian.wee...@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎2/‎23/‎2014 8:07 AM
To: "hardware" <hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com>
Cc: "hwg" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: Re: [H] What are we up to (Was-Are we alive?)

Hi Jim. Sorry to hear you're having such troubles, especially since I think
I'm the one who introduced FlexRAID to the list.

I've been running it on my HTPC for several years now and (knock on wood)
it's been running fine. Not sure how big your setup is, I'm running 7 DRUs
and 2 PRUs of 2 TB each. I have them mounted as a single pool that is
shared on my LAN. I run nightly parity updates.

Initilaizing my setup did take several hours, but my updates don't take
very long. Sometimes when I add several ripped HD movies at once it might
take a few hours but that's it. How much data are you calcluating parity
for at the initialization? Do you have a lot of little files (like thousand
of pictures) or lots of files that change often? Either of those could
greatly increase the time it takes to calcluate parity.

I'm running it under Win7, and unfortunately I don't have any experience
with Server 2011 or any of the Windows Server builds.

>From what I've gathered you can only have one pool per system. I think
that's a limit of how things work. But I've never needed more than one
pool, so it hasn't bothered me.

For hardware, I'm running the following based largely on a HTPC hardware
guide I found online. It's based on a server chipset to maximize the
bandwidth to the drives.

Intel Xeon E3-1225
Asus P8B WS LGA 1155 Intel C206
8 GB DDR3 SDRAM
Corsair TX750 V2 750W
2x Intel RAID Controller Card SATA/SAS PCI-E x8
Antec 1200 V3 Case
3x 5in1 hot swap HDD cages

Part of the key is the controller cards. I'm not actually using the
on-board RAID, just using it for the ports and the bandwidth. I've  got two
SAS to SATA cables plugged into each card, which gives me a total of 16
SATA ports. The cards are each on an 8x PCIe bus that gives them a lot of
bandwidth. Boot drive is an older SSD that is attached to one of the SATA
ports on the mobo.

Once trick I figured out early on was to initialize your array with the
biggest number of DRUs you think you'll eventually have, even if you don't
actually have that many drives at the start. That way you can add new DRUs
and not have to reinitialize the array.

When I started using FlexRAID it was basically a part-time project being
run by Brahim. He's now created a fully-fledged business out of it and has
gone way beyond just FlexRAID. Apparently he now has two products. I think
the classic FlexRAID system I'm still using has become RAID-F (RAID over
filesystem) and he's got a new Transparent RAID product as well:
http://www.flexraid.com/faq/

I'm still running 2.0u8 (snapshot 1.4 stable) so I guess at some point I'll
need to move over to the commercial version. But for now it's working fine
so I don't want to disturb it.

Hope all this helps, and happy to answer any other questions however I can.

---------
Brian