Thane/Bryan/Winterlight,
Dang! All youare telling me is to ditch W7 and just use w8.1.
I amalready thinking this way after 4 days with Win7pro.
I recall a day when my boss at Xerox walked into my office and dropped
Windows 3.1 on my desk, and, told me to load it and right a report on it!!!
I had a PC running Windows 1.0/dos, and aXerox ALTO running proprietary sw.
I think I reported that the department would be negative w/Windows v3.1, but that
we would all just get used to it over time.
My last 3/4 days with Win7 truly brings back old memories. Win7 is a huge difference to
WinXP.
I am upgrading. Please put me in the 'Grumpy' column! I don't like repeating history!
Duncan

On 03/20/2014 15:16, Thane Sherrington wrote:
At 03:48 PM 20/03/2014, Bryan Seitz wrote:

> Update 1 for Windows 8.1 which is considered a major fix that
> addresses the concerns for desktop users is due out April 8

Yeah? Like ability to choose / toggle metro?  Full start bar back?

Not a full start bar, but apparently some sort of one. You can select to boot to desktop mode, which is a plus, but it's still ugly as fuck, and probably just as wonky as it is right now. The problem with 8 (and 8.1 and 8.1.1) is it's really version 1.0 (sort of like Vista). MS seems hell bent on destroying itself, but maybe Nadella can fix things.

The easiest thing for him to do (which would win him all sorts of love) would be to make Windows 7 current OS and sell it in tandem with 8. If I were him, I'd charge $10 a year for Windows XP updates and keep support Windows XP until it isn't profitable (which would be years).