Duncan,

Given that you are called upon to support this old rig, it seems to me that
congratulations are in order...

-----Original Message-----
From: Hardware [mailto:hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf
Of DSinc
Sent: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 12:02 PM
To: HWG
Subject: [H] OB's old PC has died

Just to wrap-up the thread I started about things I needed to understand to
help my OB upgrade his old Athlon 64/Gigabyte m/b PC from WinXP to
Win8.1pro.

The mechanical bits went quite well. His new 128GB SSD got installed and
cabled.
He removed his old 160GB XP EMHD. All his data was backed up.

Yesterday morning OB powered off his PC to vacuum out all cat hair, install
his new 4GB of RAM,and, double check all his cabling. He completed all this
and then called me do the actual power back on, and install of W8.1pro. The
PC failed to power back on and complete POST. The infamous Black Screen
presented itself, but, the cooling fans in the PC were running (OK, +12v was
alive), but the m/b remained essentially dead. The optical drive with the
install DVD pre-loaded failed to do anything. We comiserated. I mentioned
that this was a possibility. That did not ease his anger.

OB decided to contact a local resident of his new neighborhood complexwho
does PC diagnosis/repair and SW install for members of the neighborhood.

OB called this AM and said his new diagnosis confirmed a newly dead PC
m/b................... :( So, OB is now shopping a new desktop PC(believe
with an Intel Core-i5 processor).
  He is looking at Dell. I will share what he eventually chooses.

I truly appreciate all the help the Collective shared during this really
intense (for me) period of trying to do a long-distance upgrade that
ultimately failed. No harm, no foul.
Just a bad roll of the dice.
Thankyou,