I hate to call you on this Winterlight, but this just isn't true. The "8 works better on older hardware" is just wrong. I work on a lot of different machines - 25-40 a week, and I see a lot of 8 machines. I haven't seen one that outperformed a similar Windows 7 machine, and the odd problems and issues with 8 are significantly greater than 7.

I doubt that your conclusion has been reached after having done any in the lab testing as did PCWorld and Maximum PC. Odd problems and issues... you mean a learning curve that end users just don't want to have to deal with. Yes, you have to learn new stuff to move forward, learning new ways is often annoying, and painful.