Oh I see that newer (Android only in my case) phones "can" replace a
tablet because they are simply tablets with cell radios but my point
was an aging (arbitrary model) 4.3" HTC makes a fine phone and by only
conerning myself with the phone part I am free put that new phone
money into a better tablets at mostly lower prices than cell radio
models + no carrier baggage.

I agree it should not be the case that there are manufacturer
abandoned models but that is also the OSS beauty because some models
do get 3rd party updates when firmware developers graft on code from
models that are supported. I'd rather the ability to do that than make
do with one size fits all "just works" stability at the cost of choice
& personalization.