They enforce it in a variety of ways.  If you buy a car out of state, they'll hit you up upon registration.  For internet orders, you are supposed to pay the use tax in your income tax return.  Most people don't, and technically, if the company has a location in that state, like Amazon, they have to collect CT state sales tax.  The use tax is difficult to enforce unless companies, like Newegg, just cave in and give them lists.