It's kind of crazy. I bought a 970 GTX in 2014 for $350. I'm not a huge
gamer and don't have any great need for the latest and greatest. $350 is as
much as I have ever spent on a graphics card.

The 1080Ti was released in 2016 and seems to compare pretty darn well to
all but the very top end of the 2080 series.

And for my modest 1080p gaming needs, the 970gtx still does OK.

I've had a hankering to build a new AMD system, so might wait to see what
the Ampere series that's apparently coming out later this year will look
like.

Scott