I have a domain hosted at google. I just switched from windows hosting at
Godaddy to Linux hosting at Network solutions. It is a very simple personal
account and no real website per say consisting of text files, a couple of
subdomains..i.e... reference stuff I keep online.

I downloaded what was on the godaddy windows hosting site. So instead of
putting all the files and folders in the root directory of a windows hosting
account I just put them in htdocs folder....is this correct? Does the fact that
the windows site was created with front page matter.  Once I copy those files
should the site start working normally? I ask because it is not working and I
am wondering if the reason is that the site hasn't updated yet  ... I purchased
the hosting account yesterday... or is it something about my files?

But the first thing I need to know is did I transfer the files correctly?
thanks