IIRC, what's suggested by Ed was one of options we presented to our Thai
speaking reviewers along with what we currently have in Noto Sans Thai UI
[1].  Our reviewers preferred the current way of dealing with a vertical
metric constraint to what Ed suggested (squishing glyphs).

We'll double check our record.

Jungshik

[1] note that 'Noto Sans Thai' (for body/document) does not have this
issue. It's only 'Noto Sans Thai UI' that had to come up with a "novel"
solution