A couple more data points:

- The most authoritative book on Thai font design I know of (
http://ftp.opentle.org/pub/national-fonts/FONTBOOK.PDF) addresses this
issue on page 83. (The illustration shows their recommended solution, which
won't be quite enough for this case, I suspect).  (Also see page 76 for an
illustration showing how to deal with PHINTHU below DO CHADA and TO PATAK.)

- It's common in Thai newspapers headlines (which are set with little
leading) to have a vertically compressed DO CHADA and TO PATAK that do not
extend below the baseline (e.g.
http://www.thairath.co.th/media/IKbPejy4R5wTSf48k65QNeuVpZN.jpg) So one
reasonable solution would be to use such a glyph with a normal SARA U or UU
(similar to what Ed suggested).

I agree with Martin that the current solution looks bizarre.

James