On May 11, 2005, at 5:06 AM, Matthew French wrote:

You do realise that there are conflicting priorities here? Get it right
and do it now?

As I have already stated, my priority would be to get it right. If you
want a free Java right now, there are plenty of excellent candidates out
there already.

As is mine - I think we have to be really careful to do some up-front engineering to get this right.

[SNIP]

You may get it fast enough and stable enough for 75% of users, but I would
be willing to bet that many users of an open Java would have less
mainstream uses for it, and would want the ability to tweak, customise, or
maybe even gut and replace large portions of the code base.

It's got to be as fast and as stable as Sun's, IBM's or BEA's implementation, or else our uptake won't be too high. There is no need for slow buggy Java.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]