Tom Tromey wrote:
"Ben" == Ben Laurie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I'm pretty sure we want a framework in C/C++, whatever components
are developed in.

Umm. Why?

Ben> So it can run everywhere.

FWIW, writing a VM in java doesn't make this harder per se.
In fact, in a way it is easier as you are already writing a compiler,
so you don't need another one for your target.

The way JikesRVM works, as I understand it, is that you bootstrap it
on some other VM.  This makes an image, which is just plain old
executable code, which is the actual VM.  Then you can run your java
programs using this image.

This has to be a VM that produces native code, right?

In any case, here I am with a platform that currently has no VM, but does have a C compiler. What do I do?

In your world, I first port some other VM, then port Harmony. I don't understand why this is not harder?