Ben Laurie wrote:
Mark Brooks wrote:

C++, just C++, is a recipe for trouble. Most projects that use it define a
subset to make development a less painfull talk. Usually operator
overloading, templates and virtual inheritance are discarded.

Rodrigo

Agreed. If the decision is to go with C++, it will need to be a subset of C++ for sanity. I still think that, at most, a minimal C kernel and the rest in Java is a better option.

> As I said before, don't assume we're all Java fans here. I'm far more
> familiar with C++ than I am with Java.

<snip>

> Ben.

If you aren't a Java fan, why are you interested in Harmony? Or am I misinterpreting what you meant there?

Surely I don't have to rate Java as the best language for everything in order to be interested in Harmony? I don't think HTTP or SSL are the best ways to do things, either, but I've spent an enormous amount of time on both of them.

There's all sorts of reasons I'm interested in Harmony.

a) I recently tried Eclipse, and discovered it removed a major source of Java irritation (excessive amounts of redundant typing). In fact, I love Eclipse. If only I could get it working on FreeBSD :-)

Since the java/eclipse port is working fine, I assume you want to use it with another JVM than java/jdk14? If so, and since this is something I was contemplating these days, under which JVM would you want to use it? Kaffe? GCJ? JC? JikesRVM?

--
Panagiotis Astithas
EBS, Electronic Business Systems Ltd.