On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 06:20:37AM -0300, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2005, at 6:39 PM, Dalibor Topic wrote:
>

> >That's a rather weird thing to standardise, being the internals of
> >a binding
> >between the library and the VM, and necessarily something that is
> >in flux, as
> >VMs and class libraries change internally. And they do change quite
> >a bit over
> >time ;)
> >

> I assume they only change as the Java API changes?  I.e. the
> interface needed for 1.4 could be different than the interface needed
> for 1.5 etc?  (and similarly, if the interface is different, it
> implies a required change on both sides of it ?)

They change according to everyone'S needs. That may be chanes in the API
specs that require native or VM specific support, but also may be
cleanups, optimizations, bug fixes, and so on.

> If that's so, then I think it is reasonable to standardize - you'd
> just have the standard interface for a given Java API version...

So far, things have continued to evolved quickly to accomodate the needs
of all different VMs in classpath, and quite effectively. So, as lng as
everything continues to be in flux, i doubt it will be something to
standardise on right now.

the changes are proposed on the classpath mailing list, and discussed
there.

cheers,
dalibor topic