And on the wiki after posting here, please?  :)

geir

On Aug 19, 2005, at 12:33 PM, Tim Ellison wrote:

Weldon Washburn wrote:

On 7/11/05, Tim Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Recently, within IBM, we have been defining the interface between IBM's class library and the J9 VM. We deliberately haven't looked at the GNU
Classpath/VM interface specification.

The principal goals are to enable the class libraries to be hosted on
different versions of a virtual machine, and potentially different
virtual machines, without sacrificing performance or introducing
complexity.  In our design, this results in a number of class types
being (architecturally) labeled as 'kernel classes'. Kernel classes can
be thought of as part of the VM and have to be written by the
VM-provider. With a thoughtful set of kernel classes the API from class
library to the VM, and from VM to class libraries, can be kept
remarkably small. Our complete VM/Classlibrary interface comprises a
short C header (vmi.h), about 18 classes defined by 1.4 public API
(java.lang, java.lang.reflect, ...), and two classes that are
specifically to support the interface.  We are working on necessary
extensions to this interface for 1.5.

If there is an interest, we can share the interface we are using and
evolve it as part of harmony.

Tim,
It would be good if you would go ahead and post the VM/Classlibrary
interface you describe above on harmony wiki.
  Thanks
    Weldon

I'm just about to leave for a week's vacation, so rather than post and
then disappear, I'll wait until I get back and can engage in proper
discussion.

It would be great if we could share
experiences with the GNU Classpath VM interface in such a way that the Harmony interface was suitable for the widest variety of VMs and class
libraries.

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

--