On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 10:42 +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 04:58:29PM +0200, David Tanzer wrote:
> > I've just had a look at some C code from jchevm and BootJVM to compare
> > the coding style of both contributions. Both use coding styles which are
> > quite common for C source code but they are slightly different, and I
> > don't think that's good. We should really define a coding style guide
> > before even more code is contributed.
>
> *shrug*.
>
> "A Foolish Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Little Minds"
> (http://www.python.org/doc/essays/styleguide.html)
>
> The most important thing with coding style guides is that they don't get
> in the way of actual work or that discussing them turns into big flamewars
> or anything like that. IMNSHO.

Ok, I didn't want to start a flame war (and AFAICS I didn't do so yet),
and you're right, such a style guide should not get in the way of
development. OTOH it has some advantages to have one and I've read on
this list that others like the idea of a coding style guide too. Also
it's good to know when *not* to apply such a style guide, but IMHO it's
better to have a law you can break ;-).

> The rest IMHO.
>
> The second most important thing is consistency on a file-by-file basis.
>
> The third most important thing to note is that doing lots of reformatting
> halfway through a project makes the diffs harder to read, so it *is*
> something to do as early as possible.

Exactly what I wanted to say. If we want such a style guide we should
write it soon before too much code is contributed.

> [Snip]
> I like the kaffe one too:
>
>   http://www.kaffe.org/doc/kaffe/FAQ.coding-style
>
> :-)

:-D

> In any case, perhaps someone should just start a wiki page with some kind of
> policy on it and everyone that doesn't like the policy can change it so that
> what they're doing complies with that policy. See how it goes :-)

Maybe I'll start one next week, this weekend I won't have too much time
for that.

> cheers!
>
> Leo

Cheers,
David.

--
David Tanzer, Haghofstr. 29, A-3352 St. Peter/Au, Austria/Europe
http://deltalabs.at -- http://dev.guglhupf.net -- http://guglhupf.net