Sorry to add yet more options; a vast array of choices isn't always a good thing ;-) I use dev-cpp to compile with gcc under Windows. That said, I've also played a little with lcc and it does look good. Another option I used to use is  Vide on top of Borland's free compiler.

Just about staying on-topic but jumping back a a few messages; I do use a hex editor to pull apart protocols/data formats but I still prefer a GUI-based IDE and debugger. Please don't take this as flamebait, just a different point of view. I think people should feel free to use whatever tools make them personally comfortable and productive while fitting with the overall project goals.

Dermot.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Rivaaj Jumna wrote:

Hi

This may be a bit off topic but what does a harmony developers desktop

look

like? My reason for asking is that I've been groomed on developing

using an

ide in the windows environemnt, Visual Studio 6.0 and the like.

What sort of tools would one use on a Linux environment, eclipse cdt
perhaps? I'm not afraid of command lines, :-) but they're a barrier to

entry

for someone like myself who would just like to explore the code base.

Regards
Rivaaj

Grab "cygwin" and install a bash shell for windows, the GCC compiler,
automake, make and vi.  Do not install emacs because it has a speech
impediment.

Sure, let´s all just forget about cheese-burgers & fries and start eating
vegetables because they are really healthy food and sustain as any other
one (:-P). You could still use vi (i some times do), as you can still
program asc under 8086, but if you really want to increase your
productivity start using a UI. There are a lot of tools to write C/C++
code, i basically use LCC to develop C plain code, but Eclipse CDT is a
very good UI, you will only have to download a C/C++ compiler (CDT dosen´t
come with a compiler) like gcc, or even MVC++ running under wine (or
something like that, i don´t know any one who actually used MVC under
wine).

Andy, dont get mad at me, this is just my point of view, and i tend to
admire oldies (:-)) who are still running things under vi.

        []s

        João

There is a certain bias I have that tends to think that visual
programmers do not tend to be able to write compilers and the such.  If
command lines are a barrier to entry, wait till you meet hexcodes and
relocatable memory addressing.  However that may just be that I'm a
command line junkie and a bit of a techno-bigot.

-Andy

Checked by AVG Free Edition.