Hi,

J2ME is split into two things, the VM specification and the profile.
MIDP is the profile, not the VM.  The VM follows either the CDC
specification (Connected Device) or the CLDC specification (Connected
Limited Device).  Here again, we now have two versions, 1.0 and 1.1
(CLDC1.1 is specified in JSR 139).

Most phones were originally CLDC1.0/MIDP1.0.  However, newer devices
are all MIDP2.0.  CLDC 1.0 was integer only, but 1.1 supports
floating-point.  It also supports weak references -- this is a subset
of the J2SE weak reference classes, so the gap is getting smaller.

Rob.