...snip...

> >I was just trying to say that a decent j2me VM is not as simple as
> >David suggested. Not that C or Java would be more suited to implement
> >it. As a matter of fact, I think that java-in-java VMs can be as good
> >as C/C++ based JVMs or better.
> >
> >But one thing is hard to deny, a simple JVM, like bootJVM, is a lot
> >easier to write in C than in java (not using an AOT compiler). And
> >that was my point, C/C++ sounds to be the easy path to start with.
> >

> Actually my colleagues at ANU and I were remarking last week that all
> the recent discussion on the Harmony list (configure scripts, packed
> structs etc etc) were close to being proof that Java was the easier way
> to go.
>
> Another data point (FWIW) - joeq, excluding the compiler and the class
> library interface comes in at ~39,000 lines of code.  bootJVM is already
> over 50,000.  I know that KLOC is a pretty bogus measure of complexity,
> but it certainly says _something_.  And Joeq is a fully functioning VM.

Notice also that bootJVM also intentionally has _lots_ of comments describing
what it does and how it does it, just FYI.  Not to mention a full set of
documentation tags for the 'doxygen' documentation compiler.

Just for what it's worth.  By the way, I'm working through the last round of
opcodes, so I should have an update by the end of next week that will fill
in the remaining blanks in basic functionality.

Dan Lydick

Dan Lydick