Hi Craig,

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 09:06 -0800, Craig Blake wrote:
> In the course of various jobs I've had to look at lots of chunks of
> the Sun library sources and VM code.  I was under the impression that
> this would be a problem?

Yes, studying proprietary source could while working for a similar Free
Software project could be troublesome. But it depends of course on the
situation. See for more background the GNU Classpath wiki:
http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/ClasspathFirstSteps
It also contains lots of suggestions for tasks and projects that would
be super useful and are fine to work on in any case, such as:

      * write Mauve test cases
      * write example applications demonstrating the usage of the API
      * writing/fixing helper programs (like japitools) and scripts
      * report bugs
      * help fixing the documentation
      * help in other Java-related Free software projects (e.g. virtual
        machine development, Eclipse, GUMP, etc.)

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Mark