> I've only got three words: first sale doctrine.

Hi Dalibor,

IANAL but from the little I know on first sale doctrine (how little ? very
little) it seems a bit of a gamble to cite it as a defence since it
appears to be applied so arbitrarily. Regardless, I'm not sure *any*
project would benefit from getting entangled in such a case. Something
else to consider is that book example code is often not the best/most
efficient way to accomplish a given task but has usually been carefully
constructed to aid discussion of a number of key points that the author
wishes to make. As Mark wrote, they help give a "more solid base" to
reason from - they should not be taken as an answer or as an extension of
a specification in themselves.

My 2c anyway...

Best regards,
George

Dalibor Topic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
05/11/2005 19:02
Please respond to
harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org

harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Implementation comparisons

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 05:58:20PM +0000, Tim Ellison wrote:
> > Luckily there are several in depth books about
> > various parts of the core library. O'Reilly and Addison Wesley publish
> > some very good titles. Since real programmers use these books and the
> > examples they give they are often a more solid base to work from.
>
> At the risk of sounding boring, it is worth noting that the books'
> material is usually copyrighted and licensed too -- so we have to be
> careful not to copy examples from any reference material into Harmony's
> implementation or test suites where the license is incompatible with the
> ASL.

Licenses in real, printed books?

I've only got three words: first sale doctrine.

cheers,
dalibor topic