Hi Geir,

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 11:27 -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2005, at 10:37 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > On Nov 9, 2005, at 6:17 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> >>
> >> Would IBM be willing to assign this code to the FSF for inclusion
> >> in GNU Classpath or contribute it under a GPL-compatible license like
> >> MIT/X, W3C, etc. so that it can be mixed and merged with the GNU
> >> Classpath core library and used in larger GPL-compatible works like
> >> gcj, kaffe, etc?
>
> > Mark, speaking with my IBM hat on, I will say that as I promised
> > yesterday to you, I'll certainly get a discussion started inside
> > IBM, but can't answer this now.
> >
> > Also, please understand that sometimes things can move very slowly.
>
> I'd like to re-clarify my statement as I don't wish to create any
> false expectations or misinterpretations.  What I was trying to say :
>
>    "I'm simply going to communicate this question inside
>    IBM, and can promise no answer - we will go forward
>    with what we have now under the terms we have now"
>
> IBM's contribution was made only under the Apache License, and there
> are no plans for doing anything else with respect to a change or
> addition in licensing.

OK, I can wait for a resolution. We have been going over this for the
last 7 months, so I don't expect an immediate change. But it would be
nice to finally move forward on this. I assume you did discuss this
internally already since this has often been suggested on the list and
you have said yourself that you encourage people to make their
contributions (also) available under GPL-compatible terms. We should
make it much more clear that this is an important project goal to make
cooperation between all the different projects go smoother.

Cheers,

Mark