Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 02:35 -0800, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>>There is one nitpick with the whole setup though. It really reads as if
>>>harmony is just an ordinary Apache project.
>>
>>You really should stop whistling that theme. There is nothing ordinary
>>about Apache projects and there is no shame in being one. I have no idea
>>what kind of *action* should be taken to "reach out more" or "be open".
>>Please stop saying "be more open" without explaining how.
>

> You are right. My expectations of Harmony seem to have been much too
> high. Ever since we started talking a year ago I wanted this cooperation
> to work out so much. And my last few emails to the list show my
> frustration that it hasn't worked out as I had hoped. Without giving
> clear guidelines as to what has to change. The truth is that I don't
> know how to make it happen.

You don't have to make it all happen, all alone. :)

Given the momentum, and the size of the task, I'd expect someone to step
up the plate eventually, and tie up the lose ends of conversations to
positive conclusions. I'm pretty optimistic about it all, so I don't see
the necessity to try to push either the FSF or the ASF to do much beside
what they are already doing, as they both went a long way towards mutual
understanding since last year. That gives me hope that if we don't, say,
get the ASL2 vs GPL2 compatibility issues ironed out in the next 12
months, we'll at least have a pretty good idea how to avoid
incompatibilities between ASL2/3 and GPL3. :)

Seriously, I think good things have happened, and good things are
happening, in this particular circle, and in others. Frustration is the
last thing that comes to my mind when I think of the past 12 months:

I recall seing Eclipse 3 on GNU Classpath, OOo2 on GNU Classpath, JOnAS
on GNU Classpath, Apache Harmony gearing up, Apache Gump on Kaffe,
moving a large chunk of Debian to main on free runtimes, Fedora Core 4
and Ubuntu shipping working code on top of gcj4, SableVM implementing
JVMDI, everyone finishing their big merges, seing Swing, CORBA, AWT and
all the other class library stuff hapenning in GNU Classpath, getting
ASF and FSF to talk about their licenses, gcj4 and gcjx, Cacao, JamVM,
Mysaifu, IKVM, starting off the TCK dance, lots of suprisingly positive
buzz about free software J2SE implementations across the globe,
including very friendly and supportive moves from Sun, IBM contributing
a nice chunk of good code to Apache Harmony, and that's just a few of
the highlights.

This was the best year ever for free runtime implementations, afaict, to
a good part thanks to your work, and the work of many others on this
list and outside it. Thank you. Thank you all for making all the cool
things possible.

cheers,
dalibor topic